Green Homes Grant

2020-11-13T15:23:48+00:00 Categories: Company News|

What is the Green Homes Grant?

The Government have made £2bn available for homeowners to improve the energy efficiency of their homes. Homeowners in England, including landlords, can get up to £5,000 to pay part of the cost of energy-saving measures such as insulation.


For this scheme, the government will provide a voucher of up to £5,000 to help cover the costs of the energy efficiency and low carbon heat improvements to your home. If you are a homeowner and you or a member of your household receives benefits, you may be able to claim up to £10,000 to cover 100% of the improvements.

You can check if you are eligible here

What the voucher can be used for

The available measures have been split into “primary” and “secondary.” You must have at least one of the primary measures to claim a secondary measure. The amount you get towards the cost of secondary measures cannot exceed the amount you get for primary measures.

Primary measures include –

  • Insulation
    • Solid wall
    • Cavity wall
    • Loft
    • Under-floor
    • Flat roof
    • Pitched roof
    • Room in roof
    • Insulating a park home
  • Low carbon heat
    • Air source heat pump
    • Ground source heat pump
    • Solar thermal
    • Biomass boiler
    • Hybrid heat pump

Secondary measures include –

  • Windows & Doors
    • Draught proofing
    • Double or Triple glazing
    • Secondary glazing
    • Energy-efficient replacement door
  • Heating Controls & Insulation
    • Hot water tank thermostat
    • Hot water tank insulation
    • Heating controls

What the voucher covers

  • Labour
  • Materials
  • VAT


To carry out the work, all tradespeople and businesses will need to be certified to install energy efficiency measures and register to take part in the scheme.

You must be certified in one of the following Publicly Available Specification (PAS) –

  • PAS 2030:2017
  • PAS 2030:2019
  • PAS 2035:2019 (for park homes, high rise buildings and buildings that are both traditionally constructed and protected)

You must be certified by a body that has been accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS)

If you install low carbon heat measures such as heat pumps, you must be certified with the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS)

You must also be Trust Mark registered business if you want to be a Green Homes Grant installer.

You can find out more about how to become an installer & how

to carry out the work here